Wednesday, May 02, 2018

No Longer

There was a time, and it lasted a long time, when I found this topic endlessly fascinating.  The jokes seem old now, the observations obvious. I will fast-forward to PJ and see how that goes.


I toyed with the idea of teaching a class on parenting and fatherhood a few years ago. Now I'm not sure I could bear it. The old Robert Bly idea of the elders of the tribe being necessary to shepherd the young men into adulthood... In how many tribes is that true? There was an older man at the church who kept pushing the idea, but I always suspected he wanted people to listen to him about "kids today."

A few of the teenage boys were going awry at the same time back in those years, and a friend sighed "Well, I guess we'll have to go out and kidnap them from their mothers, bury them up to their necks in sand in the dead of night, and chant over them.  Damned inconvenient."

No comments: